Friday, April 29, 2011

Bookmark: Hebrew/English Calligraphy - Start Nothing You Can't Finish

e21_startbookmark
Inspiration: I thought the quote "Start nothing you cannot finish!" was rather appropriate for a bookmark.  Even if I finish most books the same night I start them.

How I Make Them:  As you can see near the top of the photo, I've got a card with the calligraphy and notes on it.  Those are my guidelines whenever I make more of these bookmarks.  I start with pre-cut bookmarks that I buy in wrapped packets of about 50 from Hollo's Papercraft.  Most of the ones I get measure 1.75 inches by 6.6 inches.  This is one of the few that I make vertically.  I start by measuring out my pencil lines using a MM calligraphy ruler.  From the top of the bookmark, I draw lines at 3MM, and then every 7th MM until I've drawn 8 lines.  From the bottom of the bookmark, I draw lines at 1MM, 5MM, 6MM, 10MM, 11MM, 15MM, 16MM & 20MM.  Then I calligraphy the Hebrew using an M nib and green calligraphy ink (I currently have Dr. Ph Martin's Bombay Green India Ink but have used a Speedball green ink before too).  I calligraphy the English at the bottom next.  I got back with either a Hunt Globe Bowl 513EF nib or Hunt Ex-Fine Bowl 512 nib and add the vowels to the Hebrew again in the green calligraphy ink.  Finally, I use green and gold gel pens and free-hand draw the ivy.  After it's dried I laminate it using my Xylon sticker laminator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.