Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Card: Birthday - First Birthday

e14_firstbday

Inspiration:  I always like doing a number card for a birthday.  I also love getting cards like this.  Why?  Because I keep many of the cards we receive.  For my daughter, it makes it very easy to quickly remember which birthday a group of cards is from when at least one of them has her age on it.

How I Make Them:  The first time I made a "1" card, I created a template from a folded card using a ruler to measure out where I wanted to make my cuts.  Since then, I just trace the template.  Of course, I make sure I leave plenty of room where the fold is so that I don't end up with 2 pieces.  I like to outline the number with a thick, dark marker and then fill it in with decorations.  In the example above, I colored in markers in rainbow order.  I've also used color pencils for a more pastel tone or stickers for a child who really liked a certain character.  I finish up by writing "Happy 1st Birthday!".  I usually leave the inside of this card blank so I can write a personal message to the recipient.

Alternatives:
  • As I already mentioned, one of the great things about large outlined letters is that can be decorated just about anyway with any material: coloring, stickers, ribbon, even pom poms or buttons!
  • Any number can be used.  I'm even thinking about using a 50 for my husband's birthday in a few years (he he he!).
  • The number can be the Happy Birthday Card or even the invitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.