Sunday, April 10, 2011

Product Review: glitter marker set

Sorry this post is a bit late (ok, just on my schedule it's late) but I've been under the weather and am just starting to "Catch up".  Now on to the blog entry:

glitter marker set from Martha Stewart Crafts

Back in December, I picked up these markers.  I can't remember if I'd read a review on them or not.  My old stand-by gel pens are almost used up and I just haven't found the same ones anywhere lately.  I've been using Sharpie's as of late, but they just aren't the same and I'm always worried they might bleed through the paper (even though using the fine end ones haven't done that).  I also thought having some glitter-y-ness might be nice on some of the cards.

This particular set came with 6 markers: pink, orange, yellow, green, aqua, and blue.  There were also 2 other sets, one was more "summer" colors and the other was more "winter" colors.  I went with this one for the variety.  I've provided a link to the set at Amazon below.  I'm sure you can find it at other stores and for different prices.  I'm pretty sure I got mine at either Walmart or K-Mart, but I can't remember how much I paid now.

Be sure to read the instructions on the back of the package for starting these markers.  It said to shake well (and you really need to do that each time you use them).  It also said to depress the tip to start the ink flowing.  It was more like push down on the paper with the marker so that tip presses in and hold it there until you can see the ink flowing.  The first time, it took quite a bit to get each marker started.  While I'm used to having to draw a few little circles on scrap paper to get a new pen going, this really did feel like a long wait.  Plus, I've learned that every so often you need to press hard to get more ink into the tip again. 

They're finer than I imagined they would be. When I want a thicker letter, I need to make an outline and fill it in.  However, these definitely aren't the best pens for filling in large areas.  They're great for short lettering work though and the glitter-y-ness is nice.  They do seem to work best on white paper or paper in the same color as the ink.  The blue just didn't look good when I used it on pink paper, and no it didn't really look purple either.  

As for how long they last, I've had them since December and it's now April.  I've used them on at least 100 cards but for small writing parts.  Each of the 6 markers is now only about 1/3 full of ink (the markers are kind of a frosted white so I can see how much ink is left when I leave them still for a while).

Would I get them again?  I can't say for certain.  They're ok.  They're not my favorite.  If I had something specific I wanted glittery words on, then yes, probably.  However, for most of the work I do with cards, I think I'm still looking for a good new pen set.

Link:
http://www.amazon.com/Martha-Stewart-Glitter-Pens-6-Pack/dp/B003IINFD0

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.