Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Card: Birthday - Roller Skate

e24_skatebday

Inspiration:  When I was a young girl, I wanted a roller skating party so much.  I finally won one at a Girl Scout roller skating event.  I loved my roller skating birthday party.  I even worked at a roller rink while I was in college.  So when I was thinking of what kind of card a 9 or 10 year old girl might like, I thought a roller skate would be pretty nice.

How I Make Them:  I made my templates for the boot and the metal brace at the bottom.  I use a circle scrapbooking template for the wheels, though I used to use a Circle Scissors.  The wheels are usually black or reddish-orange (the only color wheels I remember having on my skates as a kid).  For the metal brace, I try to use a metallic silver paper but will use a light gray if I'm out of metallic.  I make the boot either purple, pink or an aqua blue.  I glue the wheels on first, then the metal brace and finally the boot slightly overlapped on the metal brace.  I draw on the laces using a marker colored close to the color of the boot.  Then I write "Happy Birthday" on the front.  Inside the text is "May you roll happily along on this special day!"

Alternatives:
  • If I ever get to throw my daughter a roller skating birthday party, I'll use this card design for the invitation.
  • You could make a low-cut sneaker-style skate which would have more pieces/parts but allow for the use of additional colors.
  • Using 4 wheels in a row instead of 2 would make it a rollerblade.
  • Extending the metal brace to include a blade would make it an ice skate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.