Monday, May 9, 2011

Product Review: Orbis Circle Scissor

e26_circlescissor
I received the Orbis Circle Scissor as a gift from my mom years ago.  However, I haven't used it very often as I tend to find it easier to use the various templates and stencils that I already had.  The concept of the circle scissor is wonderful.  Being able to cut out perfectly shaped circles from photos or craft paper without having to trace first, great idea!  The scissor has 125 sizes labeled from 25 to 150, the numbers are meant to represent the size of the circle in millimeters (though I've never actually measured one to check).  It came with 3 blades for the pen and they have been fairly easy to change.  It also came with a self-healing cutting mat.  Overall, it works ok.  My biggest problem is that most of my papers that I try to use with it are larger than the circle cutter.  Why is this a problem?  The outer edge of the circle cutter is where it grips to the surface and unfortunately, it doesn't grip well to paper.  As long as the paper you are cutting fits within the overall circle, it works great.  Though I have read some complains even about that on-line.  There was a useful suggestion to create a glass cutting surface and that it holds to position better that way.

So my final take on the product, it's probably better for working with smaller papers, like photos.  So if you do a lot with scrapbooking or where you start with smaller pieces of paper, this product is great.  If you're working with larger papers (8x11, etc), you might want to stick with templates and stencils.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.