Friday, June 24, 2011

Card: Rosh Hashana - Woven Star

starweaverh

Inspiration:  I actually found something like this a long time ago in a book of crafts and decided to try it out.  I think I made them with hearts first (for anniversary cards and I'll post some of those later since I'm making more now).  I decided to use it with stars one year to see how they would turn out.

How I Make Them:  I use an old scrapbooking die-cut and trace the star shape on the card and on blue colored paper.  I use my Xacto knife to cut out lines on my card going just beyong the edge of the shape's lines.  I cut my blue shape into strips with scissors and then weave the pieces onto the card.  The card in the photo above had lines cut on the card at a diagonal and the blue shape was cut horizontally (or maybe it was vice versa - hard to tell from the photo).  I glue down the ends.  After it dries I outline the shape with marker (silver Sharpie and blue gel pens for the one above).  In this version, I calligraphied L'Shana Tovah in Hebrew letters.  On the inside, I wrote "May your family and friends bring you many blessings in the new year!"

Alternatives:
  • As mentioned in the previous post, cards with Stars of David can be used for any Jewish Holiday or Occasion.
  • It might be fun to try different materials for the weaving like ribbon or fabric.  Just make sure the material is sturdy enough (tissue paper would probably rip too easily).

2 comments:

  1. Lynda you won the birthday giveaway. I need your address in order to mail the journal. Congratulations.

    Limner

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.