Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Card: Christmas - Candle

candlexmas

Inspiration:  I had a friend who always kept very decorative candles in each of the upstairs bedroom windows during the holidays.  They usually sat on bases covered with ivy or holly and the candles smelled of cinnamon or other spices.  However, at night, if she wanted them lit, she put out these plastic plug-in candles instead.  Since that time, we often see candlelight (of the plug-in variety) in houses of windows in our neighborhood (though it isn't always limited to just yuletime).

How I Make Them:  I started by making my own templates:  a candle and a piece of holly.  I cut out the candle usually using a darker color solid paper, in the image above I used a dark mulberry, but I've also used navy and a dark purple as well.  I cut out 2 leaves of holly for each card in different colors of greens.  I glue the candle to the card so that it touches the bottom edge.  I glue the pieces of holly overlapping but so the bulk of them are on either side of the candle near the bottom.  I draw a wick with black gel pen and then color a flame onto it using red, orange, and yellow colored pencils.  I write "Merry Christmas" on top with a gold gel pen.  I don't know if you can see my notes on the above image or not, but inside I write the verse below in gel pen in a color that matches the candle as closely as possible.

"May the glow
   of warmth and love
from family and friends
   surround your home
this holiday season."

Alternatives:
  • I could also do the flame out of paper, though I saw some interesting looking fabric the other day at Joann's that could almost look like flames (I might try this soon).
  • If it's available I'll use solid colored paper that has a texture to it for this card.  I'm not sure why, but I think it looks better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.