Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Decoration: Giant Candy Hearts

Heart2

OK so they're not quite the same as candy hearts, but they were fun to make.

Inspiration:  My 3-year old loves to help me decorate the house for holidays and she loves to paint at her easel.  Since most her paintings are just big blobs of color, I thought it would be cute to cut them out in heart shapes to hang them as decorations.  I wanted to add some words to them as well.

How We Made Them:  My daughter painted on large sheets at her easel.  I always try to restrict her to about 3 colors (and try not to let them be a combination that makes brown!).  We hung them on the clothesline in our basement to dry.  The next day, I used a Sharpie to draw a large heart and cut them out.  Then I wrote out block letters with sayings from Valentine's Candy on them.  Finally, we taped them to the wall in the hallway.

Alternatives:
  • We made some that are mostly green and shamrock shaped for St. Patrick's Day (they're still up on the wall).
  • As long as you can come up with a large shape, you could do them for any holiday.
  • After drying, you could also make these multi-media by gluing on pictures cut out from magazines or shapes cut out of construction paper (or my personal favorite, small shapes cut for paint samples).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.