Monday, July 18, 2011

Card: Chanukah - Stove photos

ovenchanukah

Inspiration: For years I've been trying to think of a way to incorporate potato latkes (pancakes) into a Chanukah card.  I finally came up with a way to do it though not showing latkes directly.  Plus I got to add in photos!  What could be better!

How I Make Them: First I cut out black circles of about 1 inch in diameter (4 for each card) and circles in another much lighter color (white, silver, yellow - the color really doesn't matter) also about 1 inch in diameter (4 for each card).  I also cut out little strips of paper from the scrips (about 1 inch long).  I glued one strip with about 1/2 of it sticking out between a black and a lighter colored circle (4 of these for each card, I hope you're getting the idea).  I used a hole punch to get small black circles from the black scrips (6 for each card).  I placed 4 of the larger black circles on the card to get approximate placement before using a ruler to decide where I wanted to draw 2 horizontal lines to represent the upper part of my stove top (the part with the knobs).  I made sure the 2 lines were far enough apart to fit the hole-punch black circles between them.  On the larger black circles (after they were glued with the strips and the lighter colored circles), I drew the swirl of the burners using a silver Sharpie.  I bent the strips and glued down the 4 circles by the thin strip only so these circles could flip up.  I glued down 4 of my hole-punched black circles to make knobs.  I then used a black gel pen to draw a rectangle for the clock/timer, write a time in red gel pen (I had to make sure it was a time other than 8:00, you'll read why in a bit) and glued 2 more hole-punched black circles as the oven knobs for temp and time.  Near the top of the card, I wrote "Chanukah is here! Who will make the latkes?"  I cut out small photos of myself, my husband, my then almost 2-year old daughter and one of our cats.  I used photo mounts (those little square ones) to secure the photos onto the card under the larger flip-up circles so they were over the strip but not visible when the larger circles are flat against the card.  I added labels on the burners (just in case someone didn't recognize any of the photos) and on the underside of the burners I added short comments that basically said "not me".  The comments included "No!!!!!", "Oy Vey", "Sure!", and "Mew?"

For the inside of the card, I cut out a large oval out of shiny silver paper (you can use aluminum foil for this if needed).  I glued this to the center area of the card inside.  I then wrote about it, "You will!?!?!?!?! Great! We'll see you at 8!"  Then signed the card from all of us.

Alternatives:
  • For a few people, I swapped out the photo of one of our cats with something more meaningful (another relative that we'd seen recently but that they don't see often or in one case an image of Elvis).
  • It might have been cool to actually show a pan with some latkes cooking, but I'm just not that talented.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.