Saturday, January 28, 2012

Card: Valentine's Day - Strawberry

VdayStrawberry1

OK, I got bored waiting for us to be ready to decorate so I had to make another card...
Every year we go to a geocaching coffee at a local chocolate/ice cream place very close to Valentine's Day.  We've always brought Valentine's to hand out.  Our daughter has been the one handing them out the last 2 years (she say's a very cute "Happy Valentine's Day!" as she does).  Since I was growing impatient waiting to decorate, I figured I could make some for this year rather than just buying them that morning.

Inspiration: My daughter loves Strawberry Shortcake.  We'd been shopping for clothes for her and she saw a dress with a strawberry and a heart.  They were very similar.  I thought it would be cute for a valentine.

How I Make Them:  I took a heart die cut and made a template in which I softed the pointedness of the heart (see left part of photo above).  Then I cut the hearts out of stiff sticky-backed red felt.  I took my 5 x 8 white cardstock and used my paper trimmer to cut it into 8 pieces (2 x 2.5 each).  I peeled off the backing on the felt hearts and stuck them closer to the bottom of the card stock.  I used the Martha Stewart green glitter pen (review) to draw the leafy top of the strawberry.  Then I added "You're berry special, Valentine!" to the top with a red gel pen.  Finally, I used a silver gel pen to draw little circles on the felt heart to make it look like the seeds on the strawberry.  I plan on having my daughter help write her name of the back of them before we hand them out.

Alternatives:
  • I've seen glittery foam board that might have been fun to work with too. 
  • Polka-dot fabric could also work.
  • Instead of just using marker for the leafy part, it would have been nice to use something that made it 3-d, (a green painted cotton ball or some fabric scraps or maybe some easter basket grass).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.