Saturday, April 30, 2011

Card: Anniversary - Silk Heart

e22_silkanniv
Inspiration:  I used to do quite a bit of batik-method silk painting.  However, the paint and the chemicals to set the paint into the fabric became harder for me to find locally.  So about 3 years ago (just before getting pregnant with my daughter), I used up the last of my paint and made small designs on a handful of silk scarves.  I later cut these up to use on cards.  I thought combining the fushia and the purple would look really nice with hearts.

How I Make Them:  I talked about the silk painting part briefly above.  Basically I use resist to draw the shape, then paint over the whole piece using foam wedge brushes.  For these I didn't worry if the colors mixed a little.  After they dry, I use a chemical set (I used to use a heat set but couldn't find heat set paints anymore).  Then I rinse out the resist per the chemical set instructions, let the piece dry and iron it.  Finally I cut my shapes apart and then sewed them onto cards using embroidery floss.  I added the "Happy Anniversary" using a gel pen.  I tend to use these cards to write personal memories about the couple I'm sending the card to.

Alternatives:
  • Heart shapes can also be used for Valentine's Day, Sweetest Day, Mother's Day (which is coming up soon), Grandparent's Day and a number of other holidays or just to say "I love you!" to someone dear.
  • I've done other resist designs in silk for cards that I'll feature later.
  • I like trying out different fonts for the text on these cards - it keeps any two from being exactly the same.

3 comments:

  1. Do you stiffen the fabric first, how do you stop the squares fraying? It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you mount the silk without it fraying, did you stiffen it somehow first? It looks very effective and I'd like to have a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't stiffen it or anything first. I do use a chemical set for the paint and I've never really had any problem with the silk I've gotten fraying.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.