Saturday, February 4, 2012

Decoration: Valentine's Day - Pipe-Cleaner Twist Hearts

Heart1

Inspiration: I wanted a decoration that I could make with my 3-year old. I thought she'd be able to twist pipe-cleaners and then I could shape the twisted lengths into hearts. She needed a lot more help that I anticipated, but we had fun making them.


How We Made Them: We took 2 pipe-cleaners of the same length in different colors. I initially made a few twists in the bottom (starting one pipe-cleaner about 1/2 inch above the other). Then I held the bottom and one pipe-cleaner. I had her wrap the other pipe cleaner around to where the first was. I made it a little tighter when I grabbed the pipe-cleaner she held and then handed her the one I had held. We kept switching back and forth with her leading a pipe-cleaner around the one I held. When we neared the end, I finished the twisting. Then I took both ends and twisted them together and finally shaped the circle into a heart.

Alternatives:
  • With some skill, other shapes for other holidays could be created.
  • We could have glued it down to paper when we finished.
  • I did make one with three pipe-cleaners braided. While this is more difficult, it might be fun for an older child.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.