Thursday, October 8, 2020

Felt Sewing: Salesforce Earnie Ornament

 


Inspiration: Since creating the Astro ornament went so well, I decided to make another one.  I found this version of Earnie the Badger in the Salesforce Activity Books and thought it would be fun to do too.

How I Made Them: Just like with the Astro I started by making copies of the coloring image and then cutting it apart to the pieces to make templates.  Then I made the template below.

I cut the pieces out of felt using the colors I wrote on the templates.  The only difference is that for the nose and mask pieces I used a stiffer type of felt rather than the usual (cheap) kind.  Note: I cut two of the Body but below I refer to one as the Body and one as the Back.

Once all the pieces were cut out, here are the steps I took to assemble this ornament:
  1. Applique Stitch the Belly to the Body using 2-strands of DMC 646.
  2. Applique Stitch the Face to the Body using 2-strands of  DMC Blanc (White). Do not stitch the whiskers.
  3. Applique Stitch the Heart to the Body (overlaps the Belly) with 2-strands of  DMC 603.
  4. Applique Stitch the Feet (both Rt and Lt Foot) to the Body with 2-strands of  DMC 310 (Black).
  5. Applique Stitch the Hands (both Rt and Lt Hand) to the Body with 2-strands of  DMC 310 (Black).  These have overlap with the Heart and Belly.
  6. Applique Stitch the Nose to the Face with 2-strands of  DMC 310 (Black).
  7. Applique Stitch the Mask (both parts) to the Face with 2-strands of  DMC 310 (Black). Do not stitch the ears.
  8. Using 6-strand DMC Blanc (White) create a single wrap French Knot for each Eye on the Mask.
  9. Using 2-strand DMC 3072, Blanket Stitch the Body to the Back.  I start just below the Rt Hand and I make sure I only go through the Lt Gray layers of Felt.  I pause between the two ears to catch in the strand of a Lobster Clip Charm Lanyard for a hanger.  I then continue and pause after starting the Lt Foot to start adding some PolyFill Stuffing.  I use very little stuffing and help push it in with a yarn needle.  I finish where I started the Blanket Stitch, tie it off, and trim the end.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.