Sunday, July 10, 2011

Card: Christmas - Candy Cane

canexmas

Inspiration: When I came up with the card, I was still on my shaped-card streak.  Other than doing a Christmas tree, which I'd used as a card design in an earlier year, this one the shape I came up with.   I also wanted to do something other than just coloring the stripes on the card and remembered I still had quite a bit of ribbon left over from the prior Christmas.

How I Make Them:  The first time I used some green cardstock and created the overall shape of the card (the green in the photo above).  I now use this as a template, making sure the long edge of the candy cane is on the fold.  I cut out the whole card.  Then out I cut out pieces of red ribbon pretty close to the final length.  I've used mostly a fabric-based plain red ribbon with a little bit of shine with a width of anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 inches.  I glue down the ribbon (for some reason rubber cement tends to work better with the ribbon than glue) into angles stripes.  Once the ribbon dries, I trim the edges to match the edges of the card.  Inside the card, I write "Have a sweet holiday season!"

Alternatives:
  • As mentioned above I could just color the stripes, but I've always thought the ribbon makes it look a little nicer.
  • I've considered using magazine cutouts of images that are predominately red or red patterned fabric just to try to give them a slightly different look.
  • The use of ribbon and/or fabric could also lead to a pretty cute looking gingerbread man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.