Thursday, December 6, 2012

Party Game: Find the Shoes

ShoeCloset1

Inspiration: Every year at my daughter's birthday party, we play a game where I hide around 20 images of something related to the party around our living room and the kids find them. They have a blast and we usually play this 2 or 3 times.

I started this game when I worked at a Day Care Center while in High School. I'd cut out shapes related to the time of the year and number them on the back (so we were sure all of them were found). The 3-5 year-olds I worked with thought it was the best game and would even pick up the toys in record time so we can play.

This year her birthday theme is Princess so I thought I'd take a page from Cinderella and use shoes.

ShowCloset2

How I Made Them:  I found a picture of a high heel by doing a Google Search.  I used Word to print it so I could make it the size I wanted (about 2 inches tall).  I used this printed image to make a template with a piece of paper and then traces pairs of them on different colors of paper.  I cut them out and then laminated them with my Xyron Laminator.  Finally I put 1/2 circle velcro stickers on the backs.

For the closet, I took a book cover (the hardcover part of a book) that I found at Hollo's Papercraft.  They had a bunch of choices for color, but I decided to go with white since the others were so dark.  I glued on a piece of tan paper cut to fit on each side and added dark brown shelves - 5 on each side.  Then I used the other 1/2 circle velcro sticker to attach the shoes.  The velcro means they come off the book.  I attached the soft velcro side to the shoes so they aren't rough when held by little hands.

To finish, I decorated the front of the book with "Ye Royal Shoe Closet", a crown and a large shoe.

Alternates:

  • For her Dora party, we hid baby animals from a book - I think they were Marmosets.
  • For her animal birthday party, we hid animals (we still play with these).
  • I've also done shapes based on seasonal images (leaves, snowmen, umbrellas, flowers) and holidays (dreydel, colorful eggs, hearts, shamrocks).
  • You could even get the kids to help you make the shapes or at least decorate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.