Sunday, December 8, 2013

Cards: Rainbow Collage Stationary

RainbowCollageCards

Inspiration: My daughter had to collect magazine cutouts in various colors for school.  I cut out a lot more aside from what we sent thinking it would be fun to do similar things with her at home.

How We Made Them:  I cut out 4"x5" rectangles on colored paper - one for each color we were going to work with (red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple).  My then 3-yr old daughter helped place on images matching that color after I Modge Podge'd the sheet.  We let them dry under some heavy dictionaries and then forgot about them for a year (you can skip the forgot about them step after they dry).  From the back side of one of the rectangles I drew the diagonal and then measured about 2 & 4 centimeters from the diagonal to draw parallel lines.  Once I had all 5 lines drawn, I held the 6 cards together and carefully cut them along the lines making 6 pieces of each color.  I arranged them in rainbow order and glued them down to cardstock (5"x8" folded in half).  I glued them down, trimming where I needed to in order for the strips to sit closely together.

Alternatives:
We really like doing collage work - it's really easy for her.  However now that she's almost 5, she's a lot more sophisticated with her art and wants to add other materials.  If we were starting these today, we'd definitely have to add other materials like:

  • stickers
  • ribbon
  • gemstones (one of her favorites)
  • googly eyes
  • foam shapes (at least their sticker backed most of the time)
  • fabric
  • felt
  • anything else you can thing of that you can glue to paper!
Additional Picture:

RCCCloseup

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.