Saturday, August 8, 2020

Felt Sewing: Ice Cream Cone Bookmarks


Inspiration: At the end of each club season for my GirlsWhoCode Club, I put together items for the club members.  Since we were having our sharing and celebration at an ice cream parlor and we usually meet at the library, I thought these would be a cute little reminder. 

How I Made Them: A few weeks before I made these I found the book Kawaii Craft Life during a trip to Michaels.  These ice cream cones were one of the Frosty Treat Charms (pages 60, 64-65).  I photocopied the template and cute the pieces.  Instead of stitching the eyes, I used adhesive googly eyes (if you look in the picture above I used different sizes but was always careful to make sure a given figure had 2 of the same size).  I drew on the mouth with a red Sharpie instead of stitching it.  After assembling the front, I cut a ribbon about 6 inches in length and secured it between the front and back before gluing on the back (I did not stuff the piece or whipstitch it together).  I tied a knot about 1-inch from the end, added a pony bead, and then another knot to security it on. 

Other Ideas:

  • Sewing down the ribbon and whipstitching the pieces together might make them last a little longer.
  • I found that sometimes I had to glue down the eyes even though they had adhesive.
  • I could have cut out of felt and glued on the mouths.
  • I could also make these into pins too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.