Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Craft Project: PomPom Snowman

Snowman3

Inspiration: We made these as the craft project for my daughter's recent 3rd birthday party.  Her party had a Dora & Diego's Winter Adventure theme.

How I Prepped the Craft: Before the party, I put together ziploc bags with all the parts for the craft that included:
  • 1 3" white pompom and 1 2.5" white pompom glued together with Elmer's SchoolGlue (pre-glued to avoid using glue the day of the party)
  • 2 oval googly eyes - each with a large Zots affixed to the back (backing from the Zot still attached)
  • 1 red mouth, cut out from a piece of sticky-backed stiff red felt (backing still attached)
  • 1 orange carrot nose, cut from a piece of pipe-cleaner (the kind that gets thicker and thinner, sorry I can't remember what they're called)
  • 1 black springy hat - I cut 2 different sized circles from a piece of stiff black felt (the smaller one was about 2/3 the size of the larger), then wound a single piece of black pipe-cleaner to match the roundness of the smaller circle.   Before the party, I also sewed the pipe-cleaner to each circle using embroidery floss to make sure it stayed together.
  • 1 scarf - I cut these from fabric scraps I had from another project.  I cut long strips, folded them in half, and cut slits for the end tassles.  I also sewed on a plastic snap so the kids would be able to just snap the scarf around the snowman the day of the party.
How We Finished them at the Party: Each child was assisted by a parent (mostly because these were toddlers between the ages of 3 and 5).  Each child got their ziploc back and boxes of Zots were available for the parents to use to help secure pieces where needed.
  • The backing was removed from the googly eyes so they could be stuck on the snowman.
  • A large Zot was added to the orange nose to help secure it when it was pushed into the snowman's head.
  • The backing was removed from the red mouth so it could be stuck on the snowman.
  • 3-4 Zots were put on the bottom of the hat to help it stick to the snowman's head (glue would probably work better but I was really trying to avoid having to let these dry and the mess that comes with glue)
  • The scarf was wrapped around the snowman and snapped together so it would stay on.

Final Thoughts: Overall I think it was a good project.  I did have to do quite a bit before the party.  I'm sure older kids could have done more.  Maybe one day I'll find a better adhesive to use with this age group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.