Sunday, March 20, 2011

Card: Birthday - Cupcake

e6_cupcakebday

Inspiration:  I've toyed with the idea of making a card that's a slice of cake, but when I've tried I've learned that I just don't know how to draw a slice of cake.  Instead, I decided to make a cupcake.

How I Make Them:  The first time, I created templates (see photo below) for the cupcake bottom, cupcake top, candle and flame.  For the bottom, I use either a shiny, silvery paper or a pastel in pink, green or blue.  For the top (frosting) I try to use a pink or white.  I make the candle in just about any color.  I make the flame in yellow and then add orange and red with marker.  I glue the bottom on the card first, then the top of the cupcake.  I tuck the candle under the top of the cupcake just a little.  Then I draw a small line from the top of the candle and glue on the flame.  Sometimes I add "jimmies" to the frosting using Sharpie or other markers.  Finally I add "Happy Birthday" to the front of the card and inside a verse like "May your birthday be sweet!"

Alternatives:
  • Instead of a straight candle, you could make the candle in the shape of a number (best for single-digit birthdays).
  • This card could also be used as a birthday party invitation or thank you card.
Additional Photos:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.