Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Card: Birthday - Sun

e11_sunbday

Inspiration: I have a friend that uses these little wooden suns as her geocaching signature item.  Whenever I find one in a geocache, they make me smiley and cheery.  I thought the shape would make a bright happy birthday card!

How I Make Them: Again for this card, I already had a sun template.  Though I have used a hand-made template on occasion to get a slightly different shape to the rays.  I trace the sun template with the rays out of 2 different colors (usually an orange and red, the example in the image above uses neon-colored papers).  I cut a circle or oval (probably more of an oval) out of a yellow paper.  I usually glue the red-ish colored sun down first.  Then the orange-ish one with the rays slightly offset.  Finally I glue the yellow circle on top.  I draw a smiley face on the yellow using markers or gel pens.  On the outside I write, "Let the sunshine in!".  On the inside I write, "May you have a bright, sun shiny birthday!"

Alternatives:
  • I've thought about cutting out the circle from the two sun shapes and then placing the yellow on first to make it look like the face is more inside the sun.
  • You could use a third and maybe even a fourth ray color (though it might start getting too thick and heavy).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.