Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Project: Jewish Wedding Calligraphy Gift

Besht1

Inspiration: Years ago my husband got me a card with the saying from the Baal Shem Tov that I used for this project.  I love it!

How I Make It: I worked out the spacing on the Calligraphy on practice calligraphy paper that was pre-lined.  Then I tape the practice sheet along with a piece of vellum onto a light box.  I use a C-4 Speedball nib and black India Ink to do the calligraphy on the vellum.  I let it dry and then cut out the vellum to match the frame size (5x7).  I cut out and place a piece of wrapping paper behind the vellum to give it some color.  The wrapping paper I used here (Love) was one from my Grandmother's collection I inherited after she passed.  It's always meant a lot to me as well.

Alternatives:
  • Use a different text that's a favorite of the couple.  I've used Corinthians for a few Christian relatives and other biblical verses.
  • Sometimes I mix ink to match the color(s) on the wedding invite or will include the invitation in a double opening frame.

Text of the above verse:
From every human being there rises a light that reaches straight to heaven. And when two souls that are destined to be together find each other, their streams of light flow together, and a single brighter light goes forth from their united being. - Baal Shem Tov

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.