Monday, January 2, 2012

Bookmark: Hebrew/English Calligraphy - Hillel Quote

bkmk_hillel

Inspiration:  I made a series of these bookmarks with quotes from Rabbi Hillel as handouts for an activity fair for my college Hillel club (when I was advisor years ago).  On the back I pasted a calendar listing of all the Jewish Holidays from that year.

How I Make Them:  I use a pre-cut 2.25 inches by 7.5 inches bookmark from Hollo's Papercraft.  This time I use it horizontally.  I draw pencil lines to evenly space out the calligraphy.  For the Hebrew I used 7/16" spacing and for the English translation lines I used 5/16" spacing.  I write the Hebrew with a C3 or C4 Speedball nib and use a GLOBE nib for the vowels all in a Speedball Aqua colored ink.  For the English, I use a C5 or C6 Speedball nib with a purple Speedball ink. I also added "Rabbi Hillel taught:" at an angle using a C4 nib with a Speedball Royal Blue ink.  After the calligraphy ink has dried, I used scrapbooking tape to attach a small listing of Jewish holidays for the current calendar year on the back.  Finally, I laminate the card using my Xylon sticker laminator.

The quote in the above image is from Pirke Avot 2:6.  I also used Pirke Avot 1:14 (If I am not for myself, who will be for me?  If I am for myself, what am I? If not now, when?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.