Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Card: Rosh Hashana - Cut out Star

starcutoutrh

Inspiration:  I had purchased some tissue paper for another project and had lots leftover.  I'd also been toying with the idea of stained glass and how to incorporate that into a card.  I decided to cut out a Star of David shape but make it a little less typical (thus the resulting skinny star) and use the tissue paper to fill in it.

How I Make Them:  I actually ended up making a template of the front of the card for this one so I could get the star shape the same (or pretty close to the same every time).  I trace my star cut it out using an Xacto knife.  I trim the edges with scissors to make them rounded.  I choose 2-4 colors of tissue paper and cut small thin rectangles.  I put some glue on the inside of the card (while it's open) around the edge of the star and then slightly overlap the tissue paper (if I need it, I add a little glue to help hold down the overlapped parts).  On the version pictured above, I wrote "L'Shana Tovah" (a good year) with a silver Sharpie and then outlined it with a gel pen.  Sometimes I use my calligraphy nibs and ink for this.  For Rosh Hashana, I write "May you have a year filled with beautiful blessings" on the inside of the card.

Alternatives:
  • These stained glass stars also work well for Chanukah and any other Jewish occasion like a Bar or Bat Mitzvah (especially thoughtful if you match the tissue paper to the colors on the invitation), Confirmation, Pesach (Passover), Jewish Wedding, and others.
  • Just like with my faux-stained glass decorations, you could also use crayon shavings trapped in wax paper (don't forget the cloth when you use the iron).
  • Small silk painted pieces could be used too.
  • If the star was large enough, it could be a photo-frame card.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.