Sunday, June 5, 2011

Resource Review: Calligraphy Alphabets Made Easy

calligraphyalphabets1
This short review is of Calligraphy Alphabets Made Easy by Margaret Shepherd.  I bought this book because I thought it would be neat to try out different styles/fonts of alphabets for practicing my calligraphy.  I've actually gotten quite a bit of use out of it for finding interesting fonts to use for my cards.

The example letters are fairly clear and the book has a very nice variety of alphabets.  It does give little arrows around the letters to show the strokes (sometimes numbered with the order) but most often I just use it as an overall visual and try to re-create the letters my own way.

calligraphyalphabets2
The pages above give an example of what the alphabets look like in the book.  This pair of pages actually shows more traditional alphabets (many within the book are not).  I used the camellia alphabet shown on the right for the anniversary cards I made in this post.  I've also used other ideas from this book (like a font for Valentine's Day that uses arrows in the letters which I'll post about later).

So if you're looking for a good reference book for alphabets/fonts, I highly recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.