Saturday, June 18, 2011

Card: Rosh Hashana - Open Book

bookrh

Inspiration:  It is a very traditional belief in Judaism that during the time between Rosh Hashana (the Jewish New Year) and Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement), you need to be on your best behavior so that your are included in this year's "Book of Life".  As a greeting, many Jews wish each other that they be inscribed in the book.  I've drawn this open book shape since elementary school and thought it would be a good way to incorporate it.

How I Make Them:  I made a template of the book pages which I usually cut out of parchment paper (or paper made to look like parchment paper).  I draw lines in pencil and then use india ink and a thinner calligraphy pen nib for the words, "On Rosh Hashana, it is written." and "On Yom Kippur, it is sealed."  After the ink dries, I erase my pencil lines.  I cut out a rectangle in colored paper, glue it to the card and then add the book.  I draw a dark line using a gel pen to mark the binding in the middle of the book.  On the inside of the card I write, "May you be inscribed for a year of peace, health, and happiness."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.