Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Card: Father's Day - Sailboat

e27_sailboatdad
Now that Mother's Day is behind us, I figured I'd get a head-start on Father's Day...

Inspiration:  I've seen lots of Father's Day cards with sailboats and often have a hard time coming up with something to make that works well for both my Dad and my father-in-law (not to mention my grandfathers).  So one year I decided to see if I could make my own sailboat.  I don't think it turned out all that bad.

How I Made Them:  As with many of my card, I made my own templates for this one but based them on a scrapbooking stencil.  The stencil I used was meant for journal writing entries in a scrapbook.  I ended up turning it into 2 templates - ones for the sail and one for the body of the boat along with the beam.  Also I got really lucky finding some wood grain paper to use (though if you look at the additional photo below, you'll see I try to use darker browns when I don't have wood grain paper).  I also tend to use hand made paper for the sail as I think it looks more material like.  I glue the sail and then the body/beam onto the card.  I usually draw on the waves using a number of different blue gel pens or markers.  Sometimes I add a sun in the sky.  Then I write "Happy Father's Day" on the outside. On the inside I write "Sail through your day!"

Alternatives:
  • This makes a good birthday card.  The example under additional photos below is a birthday card.
  • It might be cool to use blue cellophane or tissue paper for the waves (I'll have to try this sometime).
Additional Photo:
  • e27_sailboatbday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will be posted as soon as I've had a chance to review it.